All duos that are applying must submit the completed application form, all supporting materials, and US$240 application fee online by July 10, 2020.
APPLY EARLY & SAVE: Applications completed and submitted before June 25, 2020 have a reduced application fee of $195. The discount is automatically applied on Acceptd’s website.
click below to learn more
Rules and Regulations
Only complete applications will be considered by the Competition Selection Jury.This jury will select sixteen duos from the international selection of applicants, and two additional duos chosen from applicants who currently live in Colorado – a total of eighteen duos. These duos will be invited to compete in two live rounds in Boulder: semi-final round, and final round.
The competition is open to ages 18 through 35. Both competitors must be at least 18 years old on October 8, 2020, and no older than 35 years old on October 11, 2020.
First Prize Winners are not eligible to compete again.
Duo must be comprised of the same two musicians in all three rounds: video, semifinal round, and final round.
There can be no changes in instrumentation during the competition: a violin/piano duo can’t switch to viola for one piece, etc.
Applicants may only apply/compete in one duo.
Video Uploading for the Recorded Round
All video audition files must be in accordance with the following rules:
Applicants should submit the best possible video/audio quality for the first round (recorded round). We recommend using external microphones so that the quality of this recorded performance is representative of the actual playing of the duo.
All audition video files must be uploaded to the BICMC Acceptd website. NO DVDs or CDs will be accepted.
Video audition files must include two contrasting movements representing two different styles and periods from the standard literature; transcriptions and arrangements of standard literature are acceptable. The chosen repertory should showcase the technical and musical ability of both candidates – no longer than 10 minutes. The Selection Jury will be evaluating both partners individually, as well as the chamber music being made between the two.
Each work must be uploaded in an individual video file.
EDITING is NOT permitted.
Each video must clearly show both applicants’ faces and hands during the performances, using only ONE camera angle.
Video files must have been recorded within the past year.
The following supporting documents must be uploaded with the application:
- Current biography for each person, between 200 and a maximum of 250 words per contestant.
- One (1) professional color photograph per person (headshot)uploaded as HI-RES 300dpi JPEG file.
- Proof of age for both members (scan of passport preferred).
- Full repertoire list for the entire competition following the repertoire guidelines below.
Applicants will be notified of their acceptance/alternate/non-acceptance by e-mail, no later than July 25, 2020.
Applicants should retain copies of all materials sent with their applications. Boulder International Chamber Music Competition is not responsible for any lost documents.
Submitted materials will not be returned.
The decision of pre-screening jury is final and not subject to questions, revisions, or appeal. The decision of live jury (semi-finals and finals), is final and not subject to questions, revisions, or appeal.
Video Round: First Round
- 10 minutes maximum; 8 minutes minimum (please stop the recording at 10 minutes, even if the composition is longer than that).
- Two contrasting movements, from two different styles and periods, showcasing the technical and musical ability of both candidates; a total of 10 minutes.
- Standard literature, transcriptions, and arrangements of standard repertoire are acceptable.
A total of 20 minutes, which will include the 5 minute required piece, composed by BICMC Composer-in-Residence, and to be made available September 1, 2020.
- Contestants are allowed to perform individual movements.
- A minimum of two styles must be represented, in addition to the required piece.
- A total of 30 minutes to include complete works or individual movements from various periods and styles, including:
- One single movement of short work by J.S. Bach (transcriptions and arrangements are acceptable).
Additional Information for All Rounds
- Full/complete works are not required.
- Concertos are NOT allowed.
- Transcriptions of standard repertoire are allowed and welcomed.
- Repertoire may not be repeated between the two live rounds, but may be repeated between the online video submission and a live round.
- Submitted repertoire is subject to review by Competition officials.
Travel & Accommodation
The competition doesn’t pay nor reimburse for travel and/or transportation.
The competition provides lodging with hosts (for those semifinalists coming from outside of Colorado), practice space, and discounted hotel rates for performers who wish to arrange their own stay. The competition doesn’t provide stay with hosts for family members or other persons who are traveling with the performers.
- First Prize
- $8,000 and up to two potential professional engagements (for the duo) in the Boulder area in 2021/2022 (or the following season).*.
- Second Prize
- $6,000 and one potential professional engagement (for the duo) in the Boulder area in 2021/2022 (or the following season).*
- Third Prize
- $4,000 .
* Decisions about the terms of offered engagements will be made at the discretion of our partner-presenters. Please note BICMC cannot guarantee engagements, nor terms offered by the local presenters.
- Special Prize
- $1000 for the best performance of the required piece.
- $1,000 audience prize